Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Who Needs a GPS?

All I wanted for Christmas this past year was a GPS and my wife got me one (see picture below).  A month later it was stolen and since it cost substantially less than our homeowner's insurance deductible, I wrote it off as a loss.  It probably won't make a dent on my itemized deductions, but life goes on. 

This week, Gwen and I are taking a couple of personal days on the central California coast before attending the Catalyst West Conference in Irvine.  This morning I left our San Luis Obispo hotel in search of a coffee shop (Notice I didn't use the 'S' word - we just wanted something better than the complimentary in-room packets that are nothing more than a slight upgrade from Auto Repair shop coffee).  Armed with only the Google Maps app on my phone, I set out.  30 minutes later I was still trying to figure out  the flawed Google maps while bemoaning the fact that my "real" GPS would have had me back in my room with a fresh brew in hand and the perfect start to the day. 

Finally I got an address, turned off the phone app and set out on my own.  I've always had a good sense of direction so I used my inward navigational instincts and within 3 minutes, I found the coffee shop, got the drinks and the aroma is filling the room as I write this.  

As we search for direction in life, too often we look to external sources that are flawed and lacking in real substance.  Christ gave us the Holy Spirit to lead us and guide us into all truth, so in reality He (the Spirit) is our inner GPS.  I understand we need and should seek external counsel, but sometimes when we can't find a Pastor, leader or trusted friend we just need to shut off all the things around us that are flawed and trust our inward navigational instincts that only the Holy Spirit can provide.  You may be surprised at how quickly you can find your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment